Friday, November 6, 2009

Technology Sucks!

My one year and four month old laptop decided to quit life last night. Every time I turned it on, it froze. My friend tried to do a system restore on it today, but it didn't work. And now it won't even leave the Windows loading screen. Awesome. I am bringing it in to the computing services office at school on Monday to see if the woman there can do anything with it. I am keeping my fingers crossed. What really irks me is that right now, I am using my six-year old dinosaur laptop, which I replaced last year because it can't connect to wireless or else it freaks out and goes to blue screen of death. Otherwise, it works great. It does mean that I am relegated to the living room when I want to use internet, because our wireless router is located there, and it has slots for ethernet cords. I also have to relearn this keyboard, and be super careful about the websites I go to, because the virus software it has on it is maybe 9 months to a year old. It's there, but probably won't be super effective. So only Gmail, Facebook, and Blogger. And no clicking on weird links. But really? A six-year old laptop works fine, and the not even year and a half old laptop has already shit the bed? Angry.

And I do not need this added stress right now. I am stressed out enough as it is with these insanely hard classes. I don't have time for this!

Haven't eaten a real dinner all week. Been too stressed, so I don't have an appetite for anything. Just picked at things, like Wheat Thins, or tortilla chips this evening. I think I ate too many chips tonight, though. I feel really guilty. They were the Hint of Lime Tostitos, and they are the only thing I have legitimately wanted all week for food. Everything else was eaten for show, and to keep brain function. Now I feel like I am going to weigh so much tonight and tomorrow morning.

Also, in addition to needing to lose at least ten pounds by November 19th, I have realized that I need to be at least 115lbs. by December 4th. December 4th is when we have this annual auction at the vet school to raise money for us students to go to national symposium in the spring. It's a big thing, with a silent auction, and a raucous live auction, open bar, and formal dress. To look good in the dress I bought last spring to wear, I am going to have to be 115lbs. And that dress was expensive too, so I MUST get there. I CAN do it; I WILL do it.

Faz77 had asked a while back how I stay focused on losing weight while studying. I guess it's not so much that I am focusing on losing weight; it's that I am focusing so much on studying that everything else falls to the wayside. For example, when going over lectures and making flash cards, I will notice a grumble in my stomach and think to myself "You can get up and have an apple after this section in the notes." And then I get to the end of that section and say to myself "The next section isn't so long. You can have an apple after that." So then I get to the end of that section, and I decide that I can do one more section, and you see how it goes. Then I realize that I haven't eaten since breakfast, and by then it's 7pm, and I am too tired to make anything to eat. So I study some more, since that doesn't involve leaving the couch, and go to bed with only a bagel to eat all day. I also have realized how much study time I waste by eating, since when I eat, I can't concentrate on anything but the food. So I lose about 2-3 hours a day by eating, because I eat so slow. So eating only one meal a day gives me two more hours of study time. Add to that what stress does to my appetite, and it's one mean recipe for weight loss.

Also, I am thinking they are just going to have to wipe my whole computer and start over. Does anyone know of a way to get back iTunes songs that were on my computer and not on my iPod yet? I unfortunately never think I need to back-up my information, so I didn't have those songs on anything but the cracked-out computer. Can I get them through iTunes somehow? If anyone has any ideas, it would be greatly appreciated. We are only talking like 25 songs, so it's not a huge deal if I lost them, but if I don't have to, I would really rather keep them. Thanks!

Love you, Skinnies!

~Sottile

1 comment:

  1. Ugh my stupid 1 yr old lap top did the same thing - well it shit the bed. I ended up having to buy a new hard drive; $300 later and I have my stupid fragile lappy back.
    It was about 6 mths til I got it fixed so I was stuck using my super slow desktop dinosaur. Ugh, heart breaking really =P
    Best of luck with your 10 lb goal. Stay strong and keep focused and busy. You can do this, you will do this!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete